1/28/2014

South Side Stories: Weekly Update (1/28/14)

Ah, the South Side.

I have been going there nearly every weekend since I was 9 with my father. We go to the Pretzel Shop. Not to party. I felt like I should clarify.

I feel like this needs to be clarified to everyone. We know South Side is a huge party spot. It's obvious, considering the amount of bars in such a small area.

However, is it dangerous? I have never taken a bullet there. I've never witnessed one of these carjackings. Is it because I haven't went at the right time? (or wrong time, I guess.)

That's what I am going to find out. Along with Aaron's photographic assistance, we are going to answer the question: How dangerous is South Side?

This week, I read through some of the research I had previously done with The Duke to familiarize myself with the topic again, such as the following:

http://www.duqsm.com/south-side-bar-levelz-may-be-labeled-nuisance/

http://www.duqsm.com/south-side-notices-big-drop-in-crime-911-calls/

I also took a trip down there at 1:30 p.m. on Saturday to get lunch, like I intended to. I saw a lot of families walking around. It was cold, but they were smiling. Is it too obvious to assume South Side is really safe during the day? Is this true of all areas?

I failed to get in contact with the South Side Chamber of Commerce. I tried once, then forgot to try again. I will contact them for next week, along with Bruce Kraus, if I can.

My goals for next week:

- Put in calls to Chamber of Commerce and Bruce Kraus

- Visit the area on a normal weeknight (not a weekend) and take notes

- Visit Levelz storefront and observe, take photos